Submit Content to Montessori Life
Our Community. Your Stories.
Thank you for your interest in submitting work to Montessori Life, the official magazine of the American Montessori Society.
Before submitting, please familiarize yourself with our content by reading previous issues. If you are a member of the American Montessori Society, you can log in to read articles online. Otherwise, you may purchase single copies or a subscription at Shop AMS; or receive a subscription as a benefit of becoming a member of AMS.
Montessori Life accepts electronic submissions that follow the guidelines below. Please note that content submitted via postal mail will not be read or returned.
Letters to the Editor
Has something in Montessori Life particularly caught your attention? If so, we’re eager to hear from you. We welcome feedback from our community, as we strive to make Montessori Life a valuable resource for our readers. Please share your thoughts with us—and let us know if we may consider them for publication in the Letters to the Editor section of a future edition of our magazine. Letters may be edited for style or length.
Anniversaries & In Memoriam
If your AMS-member school or AMS-affiliated teacher education program will soon be celebrating a 5-year, decade, or quarter-century anniversary, email us the news and we will publish it in an upcoming issue. Include your organization name, location, and the name of the head of school or program director. Put “Anniversary” in the subject line.
We strive to honor and recognize those in our community who have passed on. If you would like to honor someone in our Montessori community who has passed, please fill out all required fields on this form so that we might include them in an upcoming edition of the magazine.
For the “Last Laughs” department of Montessori Life, we invite you to email us your amusing and poignant stories about Montessori students, classrooms, and family life. Please include your name, location, and if you’re a teacher or administrator, the name of your school.
For the Gallery section of Montessori Life, and more, we invite you to email us your high-resolution, high-quality photographs of actively engaged children and teachers. Please email smartphone photos at their actual size.
Be sure to include a signed AMS Photo Release Form for each subject depicted. Photos sent without a signed AMS Photo Release Form for each subject will not be saved and cannot be used. Schools depicted must be AMS members. Teacher education programs must be AMS-affiliated.
AMS members (schools, individuals, and affiliated teacher education programs):
If you’ve recently accomplished something noteworthy, or taken part in something unique that you think would be of interest to the wider community, we might want to put you in the Montessori spotlight! Pitch us a story idea and we’ll take it from there.
How to Pitch Your Montessori Spotlight Story
- Email a brief overview of your story to MontessoriSpotlight@amshq.org. Maximum 150 words. (Longer pitches will not be considered.)
- If you have a photo or photos, attach them to the email along with a signed AMS Photo Release Form for each person depicted. Photos without releases will not be saved.
- Include your location and the complete name of your school or program.
- Use the subject line “Montessori Spotlight” and the name of your school or program.
If we are interested in your pitch, someone from our team will be in contact with you.
What We Are Looking For
Yes: Stories that will interest, engage, and inspire about something that has recently taken place.
No: News that is “business as usual”: graduations, practicum starts and finishes, routine classroom events, addition of new classrooms or meeting spaces, etc. No copy that would otherwise go in a paid advertisement.
Montessori Life is a peer-reviewed publication, meaning all feature articles are reviewed by qualified readers from our Editorial Advisory Board and our wider community. (Author identities are intentionally hidden from reviewers to ensure unbiased reviews.)
Articles are accepted on a rolling basis. The editors will send confirmation of receipt.
Please allow up to 6 months for our editors to review your article and contact you about their interest in pursuing it for publication.
Editorial Process and Publication
If our editors express interest in pursuing your article for publication, please allow for an additional 3–6 months (approximate) for the editorial process and publication.
- All submissions must be original and previously unpublished.
- Length: 1,000–4,000 words for feature articles.
- Name(s) of author(s) must be on cover page only, to allow for blind review. On the cover page, include the postal mail address, phone number, and email address of the designated main author.
- If photographs accompany your submission, you must include a signed AMS Photo Release Form for each individual depicted. Photos sent without signed AMS Photo Release Forms will not be saved and cannot be used.
- Exclusive submissions are preferred. If you are submitting to more than one publication, please inform the editors upon submission.
- All submissions must follow the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 7th edition.
If you use any resource material as support for your article, or if you quote a source (periodical, book, individual, etc.), you must cite each source in a reference section, and directly in your text, as per APA style.
To Submit an Article
Email us your article (Word format only, sent as an attachment). For each author, include a brief bio (maximum 60 words) with:
- Current professional position and title
- Place of employment with location
- Montessori credential(s) with level and issuing organization
- Email address/social media handles, preferred pronouns
- And other notes of relevance