Applications Sought for AMS Board of Directors
September 1, 2021—If you are an energetic and engaged member of the AMS community and would like to deepen your commitment and involvement, we invite you to apply for our board of directors. As a director, you would be part of a working board that devotes substantial time to seeing through projects and policies for the betterment of AMS and the global Montessori community. You would also be helping to chart the course of AMS—the world’s largest and most influential Montessori organization.
We are accepting applications now through 5:00 PM (ET), October 31, 2021.
We seek a wide spectrum of candidates to fill several open positions, including (but not limited to): Board Director, Chair of the Teacher’s Section, Chair of the Heads Section.
The Directorship Committee of the AMS Board of Directors will review all applications and approve select applicants as candidates to enter the election, with intent to ensure that the board is representative of its constituents and well-equipped to work on its strategic goals.
- September 1 – October 31, 2021: Applications are accepted.
- December 2021: Applicants are notified of their candidacy status.
- March 2022: Elections are open.
- April 2022: Voting closes.
- May 2022: Election results are announced.
- July 2022: New directors are encouraged to observe 1 day of our summer board meeting.
- July 2022: Term of office begins.
Why Serve on the AMS Board of Directors?
Serving on the AMS Board will give you the opportunity to contribute talent, expertise, and energy to support our mission and be a vital link between our organization and members. You will play a critical role in helping us to view issues through multiple dimensions—legal, financial, and fundraising, as well as from the perspectives of public relations, communications, and professional development. You will also assist with the all-important working knowledge of the substantive, programmatic work of our organization, including the realization of board-ratified strategic goals.
General Requirements for All AMS Board Directors
All AMS Board directors:
- Shall be active members in good standing of AMS.
- Shall affirm acceptance, endorsement, and promulgation of AMS by-laws and policies.
- Shall actively work to carry out the mission and strategic goals of AMS.
- Shall understand and accept all aspects of confidentiality during and after appointment periods.
- Shall have the willingness and ability to devote the time necessary to support board activities. This includes spending a minimum of 5 – 9 hours a week on board activities; traveling to 3-day board meetings up to 2 times a year, attending The Montessori Event and 2 – 3 additional virtual meetings conducted via video conference; serving on one or more board committees; and reading and responding to entries on the AMS Connect at least once a week throughout the year.
- Shall serve on a task force and/or committee or workgroup along with staff and other volunteers on AMS-related projects.
- Shall not engage in activities that constitute a conflict of interest to board members. Broadly defined, board members shall be considered to have a conflict of interest in any vote or decision if there exists a possibility of personal gain, either directly or indirectly, for themselves or their relatives as a result of such decisions.
- Shall agree not to represent self as a spokesperson of the board or AMS without the express authorization of the president, both while serving as a board member and after leaving board service.
- Shall have an understanding of the governance operations of a strategic planning and policymaking body.
- Shall have an understanding of the financial and fiduciary responsibilities of the board to the Society membership.
- Shall be willing to participate by contributing to AMS fundraising initiatives.
- Shall present themselves as directors loyal to AMS, while serving on the AMS Board of Directors and after leaving board service.
The directors on the board represent all members and constituents within our global professional organization and follow the general requirements of the board as listed above.
In addition to the general requirements, applicants must also have:
- Working knowledge on the role and function of a nonprofit board. Previous board experience preferred but not required.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to contribute the time and effort needed to fulfill the obligations of the position. This includes preparation for and travel to board, committee, task force, and work group gatherings and having the support of their employer.
Chair of the Teachers Section
The purpose of the Teachers Section is to foster professional development of the teacher members. The term of office for the Section Chair is 3 years.
In addition to meeting the general requirements for all AMS Board Directors (above), an applicant for chair of the Teacher Section must be a practicing credentialed Montessori teacher with 5+ years in the classroom of a current AMS member school in good standing. They should be credentialed at the level they are teaching. The credential must be issued by an organization recognized by AMS (AMS, AMI, or other MACTE-accredited program). The applicant must also be:
- A good communicator, listener, and organizer.
- A thoughtful reader who reflects on teaching practices and keeps abreast of educational trends.
- Able to moderate and lead discussions with teachers in an online community.
- Able and willing to contribute the time and effort needed to fulfill the obligations of the position. This includes preparation for and travel to board, committee, task force, and work group gatherings and having the support of their employer.
- Host and lead the Teachers Networking Session at AMS conferences.
- Communicate with AMS-member teachers through such vehicles as community emails and Montessori Life.
- Moderate and lead discussions with the teachers in an online community.
- Chair the AMS Scholarship Committee.
- Represent the interest of teachers as a member on the AMS Board of Directors.
Chair of the Head of Schools Section
The purpose of the Heads of Schools Section is to represent AMS member heads of schools and administrators within our global professional organization. Listen to their needs and concerns as Montessori school leaders, providing opportunities to meet with fellow heads of school and communicate views of member schools’ administrative leaders to AMS leadership. The term of office for the Section Chair is 3 years. Applicants must:
- Be a member in good standing of AMS.
- Be an active head at a full-member or accredited AMS school with 5+ years of experience as a head.
- Be a good communicator, listener, and organizer.
- Be able and willing to contribute the time and effort needed to fulfill the obligations of the position. This includes preparation for and travel to board, committee, task force, and work group gatherings and having the support of their employer.
- Host a Heads Section meeting and lead the Heads Networking Session at AMS conferences.
- Participate along with AMS staff in planning and arranging professional development events for heads throughout the year.
- Assist the AMS office in arranging a track for heads of schools at AMS conferences.
- Communicate with AMS-member heads of schools through such vehicles as community emails and Montessori Life.
- Moderate and lead discussions with heads of schools in an online community.
- Represents the interests of heads of schools as a member of the AMS Board of Directors.
Review the information above to make sure that you qualify. If you do, complete the application by 5:00 PM (ET), October 31, 2021.