Each issue of Montessori Life depends on the contributions of individuals like you. Whether you submit an article, a news blurb about your member school or AMS-affiliated teacher education program, a letter to the editors, news about your school or program, a note about something funny that happened in your school or home, or a photo, your contribution is vital.
All submissions must be made electronically, in accordance with the following guidelines. If you have you have a question about submitting to Montessori Life that is not answered below, contact editors Kathy Carey and/or Carey Jones.
Montessori Life is a refereed publication. Feature stories are read by qualified reviewers from the Editorial Advisory Board and other qualified individuals chosen by the editors.
Style reference is the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (5th edition). The Style Guide, referenced above, summarizes the most basic of these items, and will be sufficient for most purposes.
The editors of Montessori Life prefer exclusive submissions. However, if you are presenting an article to several publications for consideration, please inform the editors upon submission.
E-mail your manuscripts to Kathy Carey along with the following required information; manuscripts without this information (even if you have submitted in the past) will be returned unread:
- Postal mailing address
- Contact telephone number
If your AMS-member school or AMS-affiliated TEP will soon be celebrating a 5-year, decade, or quarter-century anniversary, do let us know! Contact Carey Jones and include your organization name, location, and head of school or program director, and put "Anniversary" in the subject line of your e-mail.
Community News Dispatches
If your AMS-member school or AMS-affiliated teacher education program has news you would like us to consider for publication in “The AMS Connection” section of Montessori Life, we invite you to send us the details; we also welcome news from AMS individual members. Here are the guidelines:
- Maximum 50 words (if we want further information, we will contact you).
- Plus your organization's full name and location.
- We are interested in news that we believe will interest, engage, and/or inspire the wider Montessori community. Please do not send stories about routine events such as graduations or practicum starts and finishes; matter-of-course descriptions of your school; or copy that would otherwise be placed in a paid advertisement.
- Because we have so many organizational members—about 1,400!—we rarely publish stories about program expansions and reductions. The same goes for stories about new hires other than staff with high visibility (such as heads of schools or program directors).
- E-mail to Community News with the subject line “Community News."
- We will be publishing a limited number of photos in this section. If you have an exceptional shot for us to consider, e-mail it with your news dispatch, along with a hand-signed AMS photo release for each subject depicted. Photos sent without releases will not be saved. Photos and/or photo releases sent via postal mail will not be accepted.
February 1: for Summer issue (June publication)
May 1: for Fall 2015 issue (September publication)
August 1: for Winter issue (December publication)
November 1: for Spring issue (March publication)
We are pleased you are interested in submitting content for publication in Montessori Life. Before you do, take time to read the Montessori Life Style Guide. It contains standards and criteria for photos and manuscripts that we request that you follow. For example—
- basic writing rules (citations, punctuation, abbreviations, etc.) from the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
- photo requirements
The Style Guide also addresses time frame (from submission to publication), topics of particular interest to the editors, and other relevant information.
We are interested in photographs of children from around the world who are actively involved in work or play. Images of students using Montessori materials are especially welcome. Schools depicted must be AMS members. Teacher education programs must be AMS-affiliated. Photos may be sent either to accompany a manuscript or for general consideration, including for the cover.
Any photograph that includes people must be accompanied by a completed and signed photo release form for each person pictured. The photo release must be sent as the same time as the photo. Photos received without a release , or for some but not all of the individuals pictured, will not be considered.
E-mail your high-resolution photos, along with the appropriate photo release(s), to: Carey Jones. Photos and/or photo releases sent via postal mail will not be accepted.
Read about photo requirements in the Montessori Life Style Guide.