Each issue of Montessori Life depends on the contributions of individuals like you. Whether you submit an article, a news blurb about your member school or affiliated teacher education program, a letter to the editors, a note about something funny that happened in your school or home, or a photo, your contribution is vital.
All submissions must be made electronically, in accordance with the following guidelines. If you have you have a question about submitting to Montessori Life that is not answered below, contact editors Kathy Carey and/or Carey Jones.
Montessori Life is a refereed publication. Feature stories are read by qualified reviewers from the Editorial Advisory Board and other qualified individuals chosen by the editors.
Style reference is the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (5th edition). The Style Guide, referenced above, summarizes the most basic of these items, and will be sufficient for most purposes.
The editors of Montessori Life prefer exclusive submissions. However, if you are presenting an article to several publications for consideration, please inform the editors upon submission.
E-mail your manuscripts to Kathy Carey along with the following required information; manuscripts without this information (even if you have submitted in the past) will be returned unread:
- Postal mailing address
- Contact telephone number
Community News Dispatches
If your AMS-member school or AMS-affiliated teacher education program has news you would like us to consider for publication in “The AMS Connection” section of Montessori Life, we invite you to send us the details:
- Maximum 50 words
- Plus your school or program’s full name and location
- We are interested in news that we believe will interest, engage, and/or inspire the wider Montessori community.* Please do not send stories about routine events such as graduations, practicum starts and finishes, etc.
- E-mail to Marcy Krever with the subject line “Community News”
- We will be publishing a limited number of photos in this section. If you have an exceptional shot for us to consider, e-mail it with your news dispatch, along with a hand-signed AMS photo release for each subject depicted. Photos sent without releases will be returned.
* As always, news about school and teacher education program anniversaries is to go directly to Carey Jones for listing in the "Happy Anniversary!" section of the magazine.
Upcoming submission deadlines:
February 1: Summer 2015 Issue
May 1: Fall 2015 Issue
We are pleased you are interested in submitting content for publication in Montessori Life. Before you do, take time to read the Montessori Life Style Guide. It contains standards and criteria for photos and manuscripts that we request that you follow. For example—
- basic writing rules (citations, punctuation, abbreviations, etc.) from the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
- photo requirements
The Style Guide also addresses time frame (from submission to publication), topics of particular interest to the editors, and other relevant information.
We are interested in photographs of children from around the world who are actively involved in work or play. Images of students using Montessori materials are especially welcome. Schools depicted must be AMS members. Photos may be sent either to accompany a manuscript or for general consideration, including for the cover.
- Every person in the photo must be identified by first and last name. For example, First row, left to right: Mary Smith, Joe Smith. Second row, left to right: Henry White, Barbara Black, Gary Green.
- Any photograph that includes people must be accompanied by a completed and signed photo release form for each person pictured. The photo release must be sent as the same time as the photo. Photos received without a release form, or for some but not all of the individuals pictured, will not be considered.
- If there are children in the photo, AMS must receive a photo release form, signed by a parent or guardian, for each child pictured.
E-mail your high-resolution photos, along with the appropriate photo release(s), to: Kathy Carey.
Read about photo requirements in the Montessori Life Style Guide.