Teacher Education Scholarships
Every year, the American Montessori Society awards teacher education scholarships to aspiring Montessori teachers.
Through the awarding of Teacher Education Scholarships, AMS supports the growth of Montessori teachers of tomorrow.
Those eligible to apply for scholarships are individuals who have been accepted, are in the process of being accepted, or are already enrolled in an AMS-affiliated teacher education program.
To apply for an AMS Teacher Education Scholarship for the 2014 – 2015 academic year, complete this application and submit it to AMS by May 1, 2014. If you need assistance, contact Abbie Kelly.
Applicants are considered on the basis of financial need, a compelling personal statement, 3 letters of recommendation, and official verification of acceptance into an AMS-affiliated program.
Scholarships are drawn from 3 funds:
- The AMS Teacher Education Scholarship Fund, for which monies are raised in honor of the current Living Legacy.
- The Zell Family Scholarship Fund, established in 1995 by Dr. Pamela Zell Rigg to honor the memory of her late mother, Agnes Kister, and her late brother, John Kister Zell. Dr. Rigg seeded the initial fund with $20,000 and grew it to $100,000. AMS administers this fund, each year drawing from it to award 2 scholarships of $1,000 each.
- The Joanne P. Hammes Scholarship Fund, established by an anonymous donor in 2013 to honor Ms. Hammes’ lifelong work as a Montessori educator. AMS administers this fund, providing 1 scholarship of $1,000 every year that funds are available.
In 2013, the American Montessori Society awarded $35,000 to aspiring Montessori teachers in honor of AMS 2013 Living Legacy Joyce Pickering. These 21 deserving teachers will study at AMS-affiliated teacher education programs throughout the United States.
Two grants of $1,000 each from the Zell Family Scholarship Fund helped fund the scholarships. AMS thanks Dr. Zell and the many other donors for their generosity, and the 2012 Living Legacy Committee for their dedicated work.
We extend our congratulations to the award recipients and wish them joy in their studies.
AMS 2013 Teacher Education Scholarship Recipients
- Andrea Blackwell (Elementary I), Lander University Montessori Teacher Education Program, Greenwood, SC
- Albert Caniff III (Elementary I), Seacoast Center for Education, Stratham, NH
- Kathryn Drago (Early Childhood), Northeast Montessori Institute, Wenham, MA
- Rocio Garcia Daza (Early Childhood), St. Mary’s College Montessori Teacher Education Program, Moraga, CA
- Kelsey Greenleaf (Elementary I), Montessori Teacher Education Center/San Francisco Bay Area, San Leandro, CA
- Leslie Handy (Early Childhood), Montgomery Montessori Institute, Rockville, MD
- Marshall Herbst (Secondary I-II), Cincinnati Montessori Secondary Teacher Education Program, Cincinnati, OH
- Elspeth Ishaya (Elementary I), Montessori Education Institute of the Pacific Northwest, Bothell, WA
- Cortney Kuzma (Elementary I-II), Seton Montessori Institute, Clarendon Hill, IL
- Itsuko Lantz (Early Childhood) Mid-America Montessori Teacher Training Institute, Omaha, NE
- Alexandra Legocki (Early Childhood), Northeast Montessori Institute, Wenham, MA
- Nina Lindeke Wilson (Elementary I-II), Montessori Education Center of the Rockies, Boulder, CO
- Ann Massengill (Elementary I-II), Montessori Education Center of the Rockies, Boulder, CO
- Carter McCoy (Secondary I-II), Houston Montessori Center, Houston, TX
- Melissa Patkos (Early Childhood), Montessori Education Center of the Rockies, Boulder, CO
- Sarah Prosser (Infant & Toddler), Village Montessori Training Center, Miami, FL
- *Rachel Robin (Elementary I), Montessori Teacher Education Center/San Francisco Bay Area, San Leandro, CA
- Victoria Tamarah Rosenberg (Infant & Toddler), Princeton Center Teacher Education, Princeton, NJ
- *Katherine Samuelson (Early Childhood) Montessori Education Institute of the Pacific Northwest, Bothell, WA
- Julee White (Early Childhood) New Mexico Center for Montessori Education, Albuquerque, NM
- Erin Winner (Early Childhood) Princeton Center Teacher Education, Princeton, NJ
*Scholarships awarded are from the Zell Family Scholarship.