AMS 2022 Board Elections Announced
Dates, voting rules, and more.
FEBRUARY 1, 2022 – Elections for new directors on the AMS Board will be open from March 7, 2022 through April 8, 2022. Upon the opening of the elections, every member will be sent an email with their unique link to the ballot. Schools and teacher education programs: the emails will be sent to your organization address.
The Board of Directors is the policy-making body of the American Montessori Society. It is empowered to formulate policies and to amend the bylaws as needed to fulfill its fiduciary responsibilities and to ensure a vigorous future for the organization. New directors are elected annually by AMS membership, helping to ensure that their voice is heard in the governance of our organization.
- March 2, 2022: Last day to join AMS (or renew your membership) if you would like to vote.
- March 7, 2022: Voting opens; remember to vote with your unique link, via email, to the ballot.
- April 8, 2022, 4:00 PM (ET): Voting closes.
- July 2023: New directors take office.
There are 3 categories of open positions.
Candidates: Geoffrey E. Bishop, Amira Mogaji, Debbie Senoff-Langford
Candidates: Sabrina Binkley, Luz Casquejo Johnston, Wendy Di, Michelle Morrison, Lindsey Pollock
Candidates: Candace Proctor (Chair of the Teachers Section), Jay Scheurle (Chair of the Heads Section), Michelle Seyller (Chair of the School Accreditation Commission)
Election of the Board-Nominated Slate
- Individual members: Every current individual member has 1 vote (to either Approve or Not Approve) the Board-Nominated Slate.
- Organizational members: Every member school and every AMS-affiliated teacher education program has 1 vote (to either Approve or Not Approve) the Board-Nominated Slate on behalf of the entire organization, including satellites and/or additional levels/locations.
Election of Professional Directors
- Individual members: Every current individual member has 1 vote per open position.
- Schools: All member schools receive 1 vote per open position for every 100 students enrolled or portion thereof. Satellites of member schools do not vote directly. Votes allocated to satellites are added to the main site vote and the main site school casts all votes.
- Teacher education programs: Every AMS-affiliated teacher education program has 1 vote per open position per AMS-affiliated level for the following levels: Infant & Toddler, Early Childhood, Elementary, Secondary, and Administrator. Teacher education programs with multiple votes may cast all their votes for 1 candidate or distribute their votes over multiple candidates.
Election of Chair of the Teachers Section
- Individual members: Every teacher member who is not also a head of school has 1 vote. Heads of schools, adult learners, and general members do not vote. Organizational members do not vote.
Election of Chair of the Heads Section
- Individual members: Voting for the Heads of Schools Section Chair is open to each AMS member who is currently head of any AMS member school. Each eligible head of school may cast one (1) vote.
Election of Chair of the School Accreditation Commission
- Individual members: Every current individual member has 1 vote (to either Approve or Not Approve) the School Accreditation Commission Chair.
- Organizational members: Every member school and every AMS-affiliated teacher education program has 1 vote (to either Approve or Not Approve) the School Accreditation Commission Chair on behalf of the entire organization, including satellites and/or additional levels/locations.