Mindfulness & Education for Peace
Presenter: Teri Canaday Freeman
For: Early Childhood and Elementary I & II
CPD Hours: 1.5
Available: On Demand
As Montessorians contend with the daily demands of the classroom and the running of a school, maintaining the essence of Montessori—“education for peace”—can be daunting and, at times, even pushed to the background. This presentation will address the need for intentionality in keeping the spirit of peace alive in the Montessori classroom and school, and explain how mindfulness activities can play a vital part in this.
Drawing from her more than 4 decades of experience in the field, and supported by videos, reflective questions, and goal-setting opportunities, presenter Teri Canaday will address these key points as she guides you in developing and implementing peaceful communities for children, teachers, and staff:
- Mindfulness in the Montessori environment: overview, benefits
- How mindfulness supports peace education
- The consequences of un-mindfulness
- The effects of positive thinking and negative thinking
- The power of words, silence, and breathing
- Activities for promoting and enhancing mindfulness and peaceful environments in the classroom and staffroom
- Gain ideas for strengthening the peace curriculum component in your school through the use of self-awareness and community awareness
- Become better acquainted with the concept of “mindfulness” and how it is relevant to our Montessori work
- Learn about resources for helping children and adults gain greater mindfulness in the school community
Teri Canaday Freeman, MAT, is director at the Montessori Center of Jackson in Jackson, TN, a faculty member of the Montessori Educational Institute of North America (MEINA), and a longtime member of the AMS Peace Committee. Montessori-credentialed (Early Childhood, Elementary I).
Individuals (Certificate of Continuing Professional Development for 1 person)
$45/AMS member *Free for all members (PLUS, Basic) members using complimentary PD vouchers
Organizations (Includes up to 15 attendees; each participant will receive their own login.)**
$175/AMS member organization
*Learn all the benefits of AMS membership.
**If you are registering as a group, you will be prompted to add all of the attendees’ names during purchase (up to 15, including the person who is purchasing the session).
Visit the Montessori Marketplace
When you are looking for products and services for your school, we hope you will consider shopping "Montessori local" by visiting the Montessori Marketplace.
In the Montessori Marketplace, you will find companies that care deeply about our work and your students' education.