Submit Content to Montessori Life
Our Community. Your Stories.
Thank you for your interest in submitting work to Montessori Life, the official magazine of the American Montessori Society.
Before submitting, please familiarize yourself with our content by reading previous issues. If you are a member of the American Montessori Society, you can log in to read articles online. Otherwise, you may purchase single copies or a subscription at Shop AMS; or receive a subscription as a benefit of becoming a member of AMS.
Montessori Life accepts electronic submissions that follow the guidelines below. Please note that content submitted via postal mail will not be read or returned.
Letters to the Editor
Has something in Montessori Life particularly caught your attention? If so, we’re eager to hear from you. We welcome feedback from our community, as we strive to make Montessori Life a valuable resource for our readers. Please share your thoughts with us—and let us know if we may consider them for publication in the Letters to the Editor section of a future edition of our magazine. Letters may be edited for style or length.
If your AMS-member school or AMS-affiliated teacher education program will soon be celebrating a 5-year, decade, or quarter-century anniversary, email us the news and we will publish it in an upcoming issue. Include your organization name, location, and the name of the head of school or program director. Put “Anniversary” in the subject line.
For the “Last Laughs” department of Montessori Life, we invite you to email us your amusing and poignant stories about Montessori students, classrooms, and family life. Please include your name, location, and if you’re a teacher or administrator, the name of your school.
For the Gallery section of Montessori Life, and more, we invite you to email us your high-resolution, high-quality photographs of actively engaged children and teachers. Please email smartphone photos at their actual size.
Be sure to include a signed AMS Photo Release Form for each subject depicted. Photos sent without a signed AMS Photo Release Form for each subject will not be saved and cannot be used. Schools depicted must be AMS members. Teacher education programs must be AMS-affiliated.
Community News Dispatches
We accept submissions of brief news dispatches from AMS schools, AMS-affiliated teacher education programs, and individual members for possible publication in Montessori Life. Submissions are carefully assessed for originality, interest, and clarity. Only those dispatches that meet our guidelines will be considered. We regret that we cannot return or acknowledge unpublished dispatches nor notify writers whose dispatches are being published.
- Yes: News that will interest, engage, and inspire, about something that has recently taken place. Maximum: 75 words.
- No: Dispatches that are more than 75 words. Dispatches about ”business as usual”: graduations, practicum starts and finishes, routine classroom events, addition of new classrooms or meeting spaces, etc. No copy that would otherwise go in a paid advertisement.
- Photos: If you have an exceptional, high-resolution image for us to consider along with your dispatch, attach it to the dispatch e-mail, with a signed AMS Photo Release Form for each subject depicted. Photos sent without releases will not be saved and cannot be used.
- February 1: for Summer issue (June publication)
- May 1: for Fall issue (September publication)
- August 1: for Winter issue (December publication)
- November 1: for Spring issue (March publication)
To Submit a Dispatch
Send us your dispatch in the body of an email (no attachments, except for photos and photo releases). Include the complete name of your school or program and the location. Use the subject line “Community News.”
Montessori Life is a peer-reviewed publication: articles about Montessori practice, philosophy, history, and/or research are read by reviewers from the Editorial Advisory Board and other qualified individuals. Submission information can be found by scrolling down this page. Please read the guidelines and other information before you submit.
We will send an email confirming that we have received your articles within 2 weeks of receipt. The review process can take several months, as can the editorial process (for those articles that are accepted).
We accept articles on a rolling basis, and determine in which issue of Montessori Life (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall) an accepted piece fits best.
- All submissions must be original and previously unpublished, either digitally or in print.
- Length: 1,000 – 4,000 words for feature articles. Other contributions, like Montessori Parent, Last Laugh, Five Questions, book reviews, etc., are typically shorter—700 words or fewer.
- Name(s) of author(s) must be on cover page only, to allow for blind review. On the cover page, include the postal mail address, phone number, and email address of the designated main author.
- If photographs accompany your submission, you must include a signed AMS Photo Release Form for each individual depicted. Photos sent without signed AMS Photo Release Forms will not be saved and cannot be used.
- Exclusive submissions are preferred. If you are submitting to more than one publication, please inform the editors upon submission.
- All submissions must follow APA (American Psychological Association) Style Guide, 6th edition.
If you use any resource material as support for your article, or if you quote a source (periodical, book, individual, etc.), you must cite each source in a reference section, and directly in your text, as per APA style.
To Submit an Article
- Email us your article (Word format only, sent as an attachment).
- For each author, include a brief bio (approximately 60 words) with current professional position and title, place of employment with location, Montessori credential(s) with level and issuing organization, email address, and other notes of relevance.