Applications Sought for AMS Board of Directors
October 7, 2019—If you are an energetic and engaged member of the AMS community and would like to deepen your commitment and involvement, we invite you to apply for our Board of Directors. As a Director, you would be part of a working board that devotes substantial time to seeing through projects and policies for the betterment of AMS and the global Montessori community. You would also be helping to chart the course of AMS—the world’s largest and most influential Montessori organization.
We are accepting applications now through 4:00 PM, EDT, November 5, 2019.
We seek a wide spectrum of candidates to fill several open positions who will have the potential to serve 2 or 3 year terms.
The Directorship Committee of the Board of Directors will review all applications and approve select applicants as candidates to enter the election, with intent to ensure that the board is representative of its constituents and well-equipped to work on its strategic goals.
You will find a link to the application at the bottom of this page.
- October 7, 2019 – November 5, 2019: Applications are accepted.
- January 2020: Applicants are notified of their candidacy status.
- March 2 – April 3, 2020: Elections are open. This includes voting onsite at The Montessori Event, during which time AMS members will have the opportunity to meet candidates at a public forum. The Montessori Event takes place March 12 – 15, in Dallas, TX.
- July 2020: New directors take office after the conclusion of our July 2020 board meeting. They are expected to observe 1 day of the meeting.
Why Serve on the AMS Board of Directors?
Serving on the AMS Board will give you the opportunity to contribute talent, expertise, and energy to support our mission and be a vital link between our organization and members. You will play a critical role in helping us to view issues through multiple dimensions—legal, financial, and fundraising, as well as from the perspectives of public relations, communications, and professional development. You will also assist with the all-important working knowledge of the substantive, programmatic work of our organization, including the realization of board-ratified strategic goals.
General Requirements for All AMS Board Directors
All AMS Board directors:
- Shall be active members in good standing of AMS.
- Shall affirm acceptance, endorsement, and promulgation of AMS by-laws and policies.
- Shall actively work to carry out the mission and strategic goals of AMS.
- Shall understand and accept all aspects of confidentiality during and after appointment periods.
- Shall have the willingness and ability to devote the time necessary to support board activities; this includes spending a minimum of 5 – 9 hours a week on board activities; traveling to 3-day board meetings 3 times a year, attending The Montessori Event (formerly known as the AMS Annual Conference, and held immediately before or after a board meeting), 1 virtual meeting conducted via video conference; serving on one or more board committees, and reading and responding to entries on the AMS online community message board at least once a week throughout the year.
- Serve on a task force and/or committee or workgroup along with staff and other volunteers on AMS-related projects.
- Shall not engage in activities that constitute a conflict of interest to board members. Broadly defined, board members shall be considered to have a conflict of interest in any vote or decision if there exists a possibility of personal gain, either directly or indirectly, for themselves or their relatives as a result of such decisions.
- Shall agree not to represent self as a spokesperson of the board or AMS without the express authorization of the President, both while serving as a board member and after leaving board service.
- Shall have an understanding of the governance operations of a strategic planning and policymaking body.
- Shall have an understanding of the financial and fiduciary responsibilities of the board to the Society membership.
- Shall be willing to participate by contributing to AMS fundraising initiatives.
- Shall present themselves as directors loyal to AMS, while serving on the AMS Board of Directors and after leaving board service.
Review the information above to make sure that you qualify. If you do, complete the application and email it, along with a résumé or curriculum vitae, to the AMS Directorship Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org, by 4:00 PM EDT, November 5, 2019. No applications will be accepted after 4:00 PM EDT on November 5, 2019.
Upon successful receipt of your application and résumé or curriculum vitae, AMS will send you a confirmation email. If you do not receive that confirmation, your submission has not been received and you must resubmit. If you still do not receive a confirmation email, please contact AMS offices for assistance before the close of the application period which is November 5, 2019 at 4 PM EDT. No exceptions will be granted if you confirm after the deadline.