“Sex & Pizza”: Human Development & Sex-Ed for Montessori Upper Elementary
Presenters: Ben Blair, Ashley Thom
For: Elementary Teachers & Administrators
After the live webinar airs, the presentation will be made available for a 30-day rental via Vimeo On Demand, allowing you to view the webinar at any time, as often as you would like, within your rental period. Please note the on-demand webinar can be purchased separately.
$55/individual (Certificate of Continuing Professional Development for 1 person)
$200/group (CPD certificates for up to 20 persons)
In this presentation, teachers Ben Blair and Ashley Thom will provide the structure, content, and resources for their “Sex and Pizza” curriculum—a human growth, development, identity, and sex-education program centered on communication between Montessori Upper Elementary students and their parents and teachers.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Why Upper Elementary is the perfect time for children to learn essential vocabulary related to puberty, gender identity, reproduction, and human sexuality;, and to be given a forum for their questions about these topics.
- The Montessori context of our rich culture curriculum, especially the vital functions of animals and the Montessori “Great River” study of the human body.
- The importance of the community in this program, the foundation of which is the triangular relationship among children, parents, and school.
- Ways to guide parents and children in navigating the journey toward adult bodies and adult behaviors, including teaching the vocabulary for naming reproductive body parts; guiding children to formulate questions about human development, identity, and sexuality; and answering their questions in a respectful, open, and honest manner.
- Activities for delivering information, motivating discussion, and stimulating loving, conversation between parents and children.
- The challenges society presents to our goal of preparing and informing children, in an age-appropriate manner, to be individuals who have knowledge about their own bodies and sexual lives, can care for themselves physically and emotionally, and have respect for others’ identities and values as they begin puberty and enter the world of adult sexuality.
- Formulate age-appropriate lessons for teaching children about human growth, development, identity, and sexuality.
- Identify ways to guide and involve parents in their children’s sex education.
- Identify complexities of educating healthy, aware children about human growth, development, identity, and sexuality in the wider environment of contemporary society.
Ben Blair, MA, is the Elementary program director at Rogers Park Montessori School in Chicago, IL. AMS-credentialed (Elementary I – II).
Ashley Thom, MDiv, is a 6 – 9 head teacher and team leader at Rogers Park Montessori School in Chicago, IL. AMS-credentialed (Elementary I – II).