Internalizing the Hierarchy of Numbers
Thursday, March 23, 2017, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM (ET)
Presenters: Betsy Lockhart
For: Elementary & Secondary I Teachers
Individuals (Certificate of Continuing Professional Development for 1 person)
Organizations (Unlimited participants at 1 computer; CPD certificates for up to 20 persons)
$175/AMS member organization
Registration closes at 4:00 PM on the day of the webinar. Registration fees are non-refundable. If you register and then cancel, we will be happy to credit your payment toward another webinar of your choice. Credits may not be used toward the cost of on-demand webinars.
All prices include unlimited, 30-day access to the on-demand webinar.
After the live webinar airs, the presentation will be made available for a 30-day rental via Vimeo On Demand, allowing you to view the webinar at any time, as often as you would like, within your rental period. Please note, the on-demand webinar can be purchased separately.
$55/individual (Certificate of Continuing Professional Development for 1 person)
$200/group (CPD certificates for up to 20 persons)
Nothing better insures a passion for math than a firm foundation in numeration, the process of representing quantities with numbers in the decimal (or any other) system. Montessori math materials reflect this truth with elegant simplicity. Every day, children work successfully with attractive, hierarchically coded materials—yet many do not internalize the physicality of numbers, struggling to read larger numbers, making errors in exchanging, and having difficulty with identifying place value. This uncertainty is compounded when children encounter decimals and common fractions.
This webinar will not only reacquaint attendees with important introductory lessons on the hierarchy, but will also explore new ways to use traditional Montessori materials that are already in the classroom, as well as new materials that focus on hierarchy in engaging and unique ways.
You will be introduced or re-introduced to the following:
- The “Streets in Infinity” story for whole numbers and decimals
- Rounding and estimation with a simple, home-made material that dramatically reinforces the decimal system
- Relating the decimal place value system and powers of 10 notation using the Golden Mat (including scientific notation)
- Hierarchy of decimal fractions (nomenclature and operations work)
- Hierarchical approach to squaring
These engaging activities can help all children become better grounded in systems of numeration, whether through first exposure or remediation, increasing not only their confidence in numeration and operations but also their computational success.
- You will more fully understand why children are not spontaneously mastering place value exclusively from traditional use of our wonderful hierarchical materials.
- Know how to adapt traditional presentations to make them more effective in building authentic number sense and mastery of numeration in large numbers.
- Learn how to adapt a popular (but non-traditional) Montessori lesson, “Streets in Infinity,” for use with the hierarchy of decimal numbers.
Betsy Lockhart, is the Elementary coordinator at the Montessori Education Center of the Rockies in Boulder, CO. AMS-credentialed (Elementary I – II).