AMS Seeks Senior Director of Teacher Education
For Immediate Release
Contact: Carol Starmack, Deputy Director
Phone: No calls please.
American Montessori Society
116 East 16th Street, New York, NY 10003-2163
November 12, 2015
AMS seeks a Senior Director of Teacher Education. Serving as a senior Montessori educator in AMS, the Senior Director of Teacher Education is charged with promoting Montessori educational philosophy and pedagogy by ensuring the quality and advancement of AMS-affiliated teacher education programs. The Senior Director of Teacher Education works in close partnership with AMS’ diverse stakeholders to effectively position Montessori in the national and international educational landscapes, grow AMS affiliated teacher education programs and deliver high quality programming. As a key leader within AMS, the Senior Director of Teacher Education is expected to bring an innovative and highly collaborative approach to creating value for the AMS community as a whole, while also overseeing the Department of Teacher Education.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Director of Teacher Education Services
Classification: Full-time (1.0 FTE); exempt
Worksite: Based either at AMS office in New York City or offsite
Telephone inquires welcome: Carol Starmack, 212-358-1250 x306
- Expand accessibility of Montessori teacher education and recognition of the value of AMS program affiliation and the AMS credential; ensure that AMS is on the forefront of national and international initiatives to promote Montessori teacher education.
- Ensure that all aspects of the Teacher Education Services, (i.e., Teacher Education Program [TEP] affiliation, adult learner credentials, etc.) operate with highest levels of professionalization, efficiency and skillful “customer-service.”
- Strengthen the value proposition of AMS affiliation for TEPs and promote TEPs’ mutually beneficial partnerships with the growing base of AMS accredited and member schools.
- Partner with Teacher Education volunteer leaders, (i.e., Teacher Education Action Commission, Teacher Educators Section, etc.) in planning and convening meetings and other initiatives to promote AMS-member engagement in advancing AMS’ mission and goals, and formulating relevant policies and practices to support them.
- Collaborate with AMS staff to plan, promote and deliver high quality professional development for teacher educators and administrators at conferences and workshops.
- Seasoned Montessori educator with experience in teacher education; AMS Montessori credential(s) essential
- Demonstrated leadership abilities with a successful track record in engaging with diverse stakeholders, forging a shared vision and leading change
- Exceptional relationship-building skills, with an ability to inspire trust and work at all levels of organization systems; Track record as effective team builder
- Expertise in adult learning theory and related best practices; knowledge of distance learning a plus
- Results-oriented problem solver who seeks out and incorporates diverse viewpoints to develop innovative solutions; demonstrated ability to work with differences and conflict
- Experience working in cross-cultural contexts; Experience and knowledge of educational systems in international contexts desirable
- Management style that utilizes direct feedback and fosters learning and leadership development
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Proficient computer skills in standard software, including Excel; Database management a plus
- Flexibility and grace; patience and a sense of humor
Send resume and cover letter to Carol Starmack, Associate Executive Director by December 31, 2015. Please use the e-mail convention Subject Line: Lastname_SnrTE. Please use the same convention for resume and cover letter: Lastname_Resume, Lastname_CovLet