Applications Sought for AMS Board of Directors
For Immediate Release
Contact: Carol Starmack, Deputy Director
Phone: No calls please.
American Montessori Society
116 East 16th Street, New York, NY 10003-2163
August 18, 2015
Now through noon, EDT, September 11, 2015*, AMS invites you to apply for candidacy on our Board of Directors. The positions open this election cycle are:
• Professional Director
• Chair of the Teachers Section
• Chair of the Heads of Schools Section
Newly elected board members will take office March 15, 2016. They will be encouraged to attend our winter board meeting as observers on March 13 and 14 in Chicago, immediately following the AMS 2016 Annual Conference.
Terms are for 3 years, not to exceed 2 consecutive terms.
The Directorship Committee of the Board of Directors will review all applications and approve select applicants as candidates to enter the election, with intent to ensure that the Board is representative of its constituents and well-equipped to work on its strategic goals.
Download the AMS Board of Directors Application
Why Serve on the AMS Board of Directors?
Serving on the AMS Board will give you the opportunity to contribute talent, expertise, and energy to support our Mission and be a vital link between our organization and the members that support and are served by it. You will play a critical role in helping us to view issues through multiple dimensions—legal, financial, and managerial, as well as from the perspectives of public relations, communications, and professional development—and assist with the all-important working knowledge of the substantive, programmatic work of our organization, including the realization of Board-ratified strategic goals.
General Requirements for All AMS Board Directors
An AMS Board directors:
- Shall be an active member in good standing of AMS.
- Shall affirm acceptance, endorsement, and promulgation of AMS by-laws and policies.
- Shall actively work to carry out the mission and strategic goals of AMS.
- Shall understand and accept all aspects of confidentiality during and after appointment periods.
- Shall have the willingness and ability to devote the time necessary to support board activities; this includes spending a minimum of 5 – 9 hours a week on board activities; traveling to 3-day board meetings 3 times a year, attending the AMS annual conference (held before or after 1 of the board meetings); and reading and responding to entries on the AMS online message board system at least once a week throughout the year.
- Shall be willing to volunteer time to support AMS-related activities (e.g., serve on at least one task force and/or committee or workgroup; work with staff and other volunteers on an AMS-related project).
- Shall not engage in activities that constitute a conflict of interest to board members. A board member shall be considered to have a conflict of interest in any vote or decision if there exists a possibility of personal gain as a result of such decisions.
- Shall agree not to represent self as a spokesperson of the board without the express authorization of the President.
- Shall attend all regular board meetings and teleconference meetings and come prepared to these meetings to actively participate in meeting discussions. (Currently there are 3, 3-day meetings, and it is suggested that 1 hour of preparation is required for each hour of actual meeting time).
- Shall have an understanding of the governance operations of a strategic planning and policymaking body.
- Shall have an understanding of the financial and fiduciary responsibility of the board to the Society membership.
- Shall be willing to participate by contributing to the AMS Annual Fund and/or other AMS fund-raising efforts.
- Shall present themselves as directors loyal to AMS, while serving on the AMS Board of Directors.
Requirements for Professional Directors
In addition to meeting the general requirements for all AMS Board members, nominees for professional director must be current members of AMS who are, or have been:
- An AMS-credentialed teacher, or
- A properly credentialed teacher educator employed by an AMS-affiliated teacher education program in good standing, or
- An administrator in an AMS-member (associate or full member, or accredited) school in good standing.
Requirements for Chair of the Heads of Schools Section
In addition to meeting the general requirements for all AMS Board directors, nominees for chair of the Heads of Schools Section must be:
- A member in good standing of AMS
- An active head with 5 or more years of experience, employed by a full-member or accredited AMS school
- Good communicator, listener, and organizer
- Willing to travel and has school support for the time needed for this position
- Supports the organizing and implementing of administrators retreats/symposia
- Assists the AMS office in arranging a track for heads of schools at AMS conferences
- Communicates with AMS-member heads of schools through such vehicles as Montessori Life and the AMS Heads of Schools ListServer
- Acts as moderator for the Heads of Schools ListServer and seeds it with topics for discussion
- Represents the interests of heads of schools as a member of the AMS Board of Directors
- Leads the Heads Networking Session at AMS conferences
- Serves on the AMS School Leadership Development Committee
Requirements for Chair of the Teachers Section
In addition to meeting the general requirements for all AMS Board directors, nominees for chair of the Teacher Section must be:
- A practicing AMS-credentialed teacher (with 5 or more years in the classroom) currently employed by an AMS-member school in good standing
- Good communicator, listener, organizer
- Thoughtful reader who reflects on teaching practices and keeps abreast of educational trends
- Someone who is willing to travel and is employed by a supportive school
- Represents the interests of teachers as a member of the AMS Board of Directors
- Attends AMS conferences
- Communicates with AMS-member teachers through such vehicles as Montessori Life
- Acts as moderator for the Teachers ListServer and seeds it with topics for discussion
- Chairs AMS Scholarship Committee: coordinates review and selection of scholarship applications including organizing committee and logistics, coordinating with AMS staff and presenting committee recommendations to AMS office
- Writes an annual column for Montessori Life and any potential AMS correspondence and/or AMS website updates to teachers section
- Hosts the Teacher Networking Session at AMS conferences
- May serve on the AMS School Leadership Development Committee
Review the information above to make sure that you qualify. If you do, complete the application and e-mail it, along with a résumé or curriculum vitae, to the AMS Directorship Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org, on or before noon EDT, September 11, 2015*.
Download the Application.
*Please note: Upon successful receipt of your application form and résumé or curriculum vitae, AMS will send you a receipt confirmation e-mail. If you do not receive that confirmation, your submission has not been received and you must resubmit. If you still do not receive a confirmation e-mail, please contact AMS offices for assistance before the close of the application period.