Nominations Sought for AMS Board of Directors by September 13
For Immediate Release
Contact: Carol Starmack, Associate Executive Director
American Montessori Society
116 East 16th Street, New York, NY 10003-2163
August 16, 2013
Now through September 13, 2013, AMS is accepting nominations for candidacy on our Board of Directors. The position openings are for Professional Director. Terms of office start March 29, 2014, and are for 3 years, not to exceed 2 consecutive terms.
All nominations must come directly from the individual who would like to be considered for Board candidacy—thus, if you are interested in someone other than yourself being a nominee, please contact that person so that he or she can nominate him/herself.
The Board will review all applications and approve select nominees as candidates to enter the election, with an intent to ensure that the Board is representative of its constituents and able to work on its strategic goals. Factors to be taken into consideration will include the nominee’s skills, experience, geographic location, and interests.
Download the application.
Why Serve on the AMS Board of Directors?
Serving on the AMS Board will give you the opportunity to contribute talent, expertise, and energy to support our Mission and be a vital link between our organization and the members that support and are served by it. You will play a critical role in helping us to view issues through multiple dimensions—legal, financial, and managerial, as well as from the perspectives of public relations, communications, and professional development—and assist with the all-important working knowledge of the substantive, programmatic work of our organization, including the realization of our Board-ratified strategic goals.
Requirements for Professional Directors
In addition to meeting the general requirements for all AMS Board members, nominees for professional director must be current members of AMS who are, or have been, an AMS-credentialed teacher, teacher educator, or school administrator in an AMS-member program.
General Requirements of AMS Board Directors
All AMS Board directors:
- Shall be an active member in good standing of AMS.
- Shall affirm acceptance, endorsement, and promulgation of AMS by-laws and policies.
- Shall actively work to carry out the mission and strategic goals of AMS.
- Shall understand and accept all aspects of confidentiality during and after appointment periods.
- Shall have the willingness and ability to devote the time necessary to support board activities; this includes spending a minimum of 5 – 9 hours a week on board activities; traveling to 3-day board meetings 3 times a year, attending the AMS annual conference (held before or after 1 of the board meetings); and reading and responding to entries on the AMS online message board system at least once a week throughout the year.
- Shall be willing to volunteer time to support AMS-related activities (e.g., serve on a task force and/or committee or workgroup; work with staff and other volunteers on an AMS-related projects).
- Shall not engage in activities that constitute a conflict of interest to board members. A board member shall be considered to have a conflict of interest in any vote or decision if there exists a possibility of personal gain as a result of such decisions.
- Shall agree not to represent self as a spokesperson of the board without the express authorization of the President.
- Shall attend all regular board meetings and teleconference meetings and come prepared to these meetings to actively participate in meeting discussions. (Currently there are 3, 3-day meetings, and it is suggested that 1 hour of preparation is required for each hour of actual meeting time).
- Shall have an understanding of the governance operations of a strategic planning and policymaking body.
- Shall have an understanding of the financial and fiduciary responsibility of the board to the Society membership.
- Shall be willing to participate by contributing to the AMS Annual Fund and/or other AMS fund-raising efforts.
- Shall present themselves as directors loyal to AMS, while serving on the AMS Board of Directors.
Review the information above to make sure that you qualify. If you do, complete the application form and e-mail it to the AMS Directorship Committee by September 13, 2013.
Download the application.