AMS Seeks Associate Executive Director
For Immediate Release
Contact: Richard A. Ungerer, Executive Director
American Montessori Society
116 East 16th Street, New York, NY 10003-2163
February 14, 2013, New York, NY—The American Montessori Society, the leading voice for quality Montessori education, is soliciting applications for the position of Associate Executive Director.
Based in New York City, the American Montessori Society ("AMS"), with over 13,000 members, is a 501(C)(3) non-profit professional and membership association serving Montessori schools, school administrators, classroom teachers, teacher educators, parents, students, alumni and the broader child development and educational communities.
The Associate Executive Director (AED) is a key leadership role responsible for ensuring the strategic alignment of AMS’s human, materials and financial resources with the organization’s mission and goals. The AED works in close partnership with the Executive Director and senior colleagues to guide organization planning and implementation, and to identify, recommend and pursue strategic opportunities to support AMS’s continued growth and development with a focus on capacity building. The AED is expected to bring an entrepreneurial and innovative approach to developing and integrating people, systems and work processes. The AED oversees all aspects of AMS’s day-to-day operations, and serves as the chief human resources officer for AMS. This position is located in AMS’s national headquarters office in New York City.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Partner with the Executive Director and senior management to ensure strategic planning and goal setting processes are in place, engage stakeholders and staff at all levels within the organization in setting and working towards strategic priorities.
- Partner with Senior Director of Finance to ensure an integrated approach to financial planning and budget management throughout the organization.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive, strategic approach to human resources management and development; Develop metrics and regularly audit performance of the human resources function to ensure quality, compliance and efficiency.
- Provide leadership, planning and oversight in the management of business, IT and office operations; Guide capital planning and investments to ensure that investments in administrative infrastructure and capacity are aligned with the strategic growth and development of the organization.
- Manage all aspects of risk exposure related to finance, human resources, office management systems and security.
- Manage the request for proposals and competitive bidding process for operational professional services and procurements, and manage these contractual relationships.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities with a successful track record in building organization and staff capacity.
- Exceptional relationship-building skills, with an ability to inspire trust and work at all levels of organizational systems.
- Generalist experience in human resource management with ability to institute and direct compliance with all employment-related regulations.
- Experience in developing and monitoring budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective management strategies and solutions.
- Hands-on knowledge of information technology and office operations; knowledge of association management systems a plus.
- A results-oriented problem-solver who is entrepreneurial and driven and also flexible, and highly collaborative.
- Proficient computer skills in all standard software, as well as web-based research, data base management.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Experience in association management highly desirable.
- Involvement in Montessori education as student or parent or a demonstrated understanding of the Montessori educational approach is a plus.
- Higher educational degree preferred.
E-mail a resume with a cover letter describing how your background aligns with this position to: AED@amshq.org. Please include your current salary and/or salary expectations.
Applications will be reviewed as received and will be accepted through March 22, 2013.
Applications and/or inquiries by e-mail only. No phone calls or faxes.
EOE: The American Montessori Society is an equal opportunity employer.